Franz Haniel & Cie. GmbH (Haniel) is a 100 percent family-owned company, headquartered in Duisburg since its foundation in 1756. It manages a portfolio of independent businesses with the goal to make all investments “enkelfähig” and create value for generations. To this, it pursues a structured investment strategy along the three pillars ‘People, Planet, Progress’ combining a strict focus on sustainability with a clear performance orientation. The portfolio companies share a common operating system and culture – the Haniel Operating Way (HOW) – with the goal to achieve sustained. Currently, the Haniel portfolio comprises several business units: BauWatch, BekaertDeslee, CWS, Emma, kmk Kinderzimmer, Optimar, ROVEMA and TAKKT. Additionally, Haniel is invested in several smaller companies and funds.
ROLE CONTEXT AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
Haniel is currently restructuring the portfolio and aims to develop its companies over the long term at an above-average rate. The long-term value creation will be achieved and supported by a common operating system, the Haniel Operating Way (HOW). HOW aims to inspire and develop the Haniel leaders and employees to run, grow, and transform their organizations through a consistent, simple and effective way of working.
HOW It is implemented by a value enhancement team of several functions in the holding professionals focusing on governance aspects, talent, sustainability, and operational excellence. The team supports and complements the Haniel investment teams, which take care of the investment and value creation.
Reporting directly to the Chief People and Strategy Officer (member of the Top Leadership Team) and in close cooperation with other HOW teams s:he takes on a central and varied role in shaping the enkelfähig journey – through best-in-class talent management. The position offers many opportunities to explore and create new paths. Among the many topics are:
- Ensure that leadership behavior across the group is raised to a level of excellence
- Refine the target picture of best-in-class talent management and create an implementation roadmap
- Introduce mandatory talent management standards by creating a toolbox involving the portfolio companies
- Monitor the ongoing progress and ensure tangible results in talent management
- Actively interact and promote HOW Talent with the Top Leaders in the companies
- Support investment teams in shaping the portfolio companies’ value creation agenda through talent management
- Work most closely with the Haniel leadership team to develop all Haniel leaders
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 10+ years of experience in HR, strong core in Talent Management/Leadership Development
- Experience in Business Partnering; experience in consulting executives / top management
- Expertise in developing and executing strategies to foster the organizations DEI goals (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion)
- Project Management experience to support rollout of programs; iterative, and pragmatic approach whilst not losing strategic focus
- International experience obtained within a company employing a modern operating system
- Strong communication and influencing skills (English, German)
CORE BEHAVIORS AND COMPETENCIES
The Haniel Core Behaviors describe our expectations towards everyone in the company:
Think customer first – Easy to do business with, don’t be complicated, get to the point, see things from the customer’s perspective.
Empower others – Support others in delivering the goal, stop micromanaging, let go by trusting others and reducing hierarchy.
Improve every day – Get out of your comfort zone and stretch for more, don’t rest on past achievements, be relentless for improvement and better results.
Take ownership – Show a bias for action, don’t wait, start, instigate, learn from your failures and successes, drive to win.
Compete for success – Have edge, take the difficult decisions, don’t be passive, be direct, transparent and clear.